US Electrical Steel Market is segmented By Product Type (Grain Oriented Electrical Steel, Non-Grain Oriented Electrical Steel), By Application (Inductors, Motors, Transformers), By Thickness (0.23 mm, 0.27 mm, 0.30 mm, 0.35 mm, 0.5 mm, 0.65 mm, Others), By Core Losses (Less Than 0.9 w/kg, 90 w/kg to 0.99 w/kg, 1.00 w/kg to 1.29 w/kg, 1.30 w/kg to 1.39 w/kg and Above 1.39 w/kg), By Flux Density (Less Than 1.65 Tesla, 1.65 Tesla to 1.69 Tesla, 1.69 Tesla to 1.73 Tesla, 1.73 Tesla to 1.76 Tesla and Above 1.76 Tesla), By End User (Automotive, Manufacturing, Energy, Household Appliance, Construction, Fabrication)
US Electrical Steel Market shall reach a value of $7.9 Billion in 2033, growing with a CAGR of 7.2% during the forecast period of 2023 to 2033.
The United States electrical steel market represents the domestic sector engaged in manufacturing and distributing electrical steel, a specialized steel variant tailored for applications in electric power transformers, motors, and generators. This marketplace encompasses producers, suppliers, and the ultimate consumers across sectors like energy, automotive, and electronics. Market dynamics are influenced by factors like the need for energy-efficient electrical equipment, advancements in transformer technology, and regulatory policies concerning the environment. The US electrical steel market has witnessed fluctuations in demand and pricing, influenced by economic conditions and technological progress, with a particular emphasis on elevating energy efficiency and fostering sustainability within the electrical infrastructure.
The growth of the US electrical steel market is significantly propelled by the expansion of infrastructure. As the nation continues to channel resources into the enhancement and enlargement of its infrastructure networks, there arises a heightened requirement for electrical steel materials and components, which are indispensable for the efficient operation of contemporary power systems. One prominent example is the overhaul of the electrical grid. The aging infrastructure of the grid necessitates replacements and enhancements to enhance dependability and energy efficiency. This compels the utilization of electrical steel in the production of transformers, which play a critical role in converting voltage and distributing energy. Furthermore, as the United States commits to diverse infrastructure endeavors such as transportation systems, smart urban centers, and renewable energy installations, there emerges an escalating demand for electrical steel in the assembly of motors, generators, and power distribution apparatus. For instance, electrical steel constitutes a foundational element in the assembly of electric vehicle motors, which are experiencing growing prevalence. In summary, the impetus provided by infrastructure development initiatives fosters a surge in demand for electrical steel across various sectors. This, in turn, serves as a catalyst for the expansion of the market by facilitating the modernization and expansion of the nations vital energy and transportation systems.
However, energy efficiency requirements are restraining the growth of the US electrical steel market by necessitating substantial investments in research, development, and production process enhancements. To meet increasingly stringent energy efficiency standards, manufacturers must develop and adopt innovative manufacturing techniques and materials that reduce energy losses. These endeavors often entail higher production costs and may lead to elevated product prices, potentially dissuading cost-sensitive customers. Moreover, the stringent standards place pressure on manufacturers to continually upgrade existing product lines and develop next-generation electrical steel with improved magnetic properties. This constant need for innovation can strain research and development budgets and divert resources from other areas of growth. Additionally, compliance with energy efficiency regulations can result in longer development timelines and may hinder the markets ability to respond quickly to shifts in demand, limiting overall market expansion and competitiveness..
Impact of COVID-19
The COVID-19 pandemic had a mixed impact on the US electrical steel market. Initially, disruptions in supply chains and manufacturing processes led to production slowdowns and delays. However, as the pandemic unfolded, the market saw increased demand for electrical steel due to its essential role in powering critical infrastructure, including healthcare facilities and data centers. The push for renewable energy and electric vehicles also contributed to market recovery. While challenges persisted, such as labor shortages and supply chain bottlenecks, the increased reliance on technology and energy infrastructure during the pandemic ultimately supported the resilience and growth of the US electrical steel market.
According to the type, the Non-grain oriented segment has held 73% revenue share in 2022. The non-grain-oriented (NGO) segment holds a major share in the US electrical steel market because it caters to a broad range of applications, including electric motors, generators, and power transformers. NGO electrical steel is versatile and can be used in various directions, making it suitable for diverse industrial needs. It also aligns with the increasing demand for energy-efficient equipment in sectors like automotive and renewable energy. Additionally, advancements in NGO steel manufacturing technologies have improved its magnetic properties, enhancing its appeal for high-performance applications, further solidifying its dominant position in the market.
According to the end-user, the automotive segment has held 60% revenue share in 2022. The The automotive segment holds a significant share in the US electrical steel market due to the rising demand for electric vehicles (EVs) and hybrid cars. Electrical steel is a crucial component in EV motors and power electronics, providing high magnetic efficiency and energy conservation. As the automotive industry undergoes a major shift towards electrification to meet environmental regulations, the demand for electrical steel has surged. Additionally, advancements in EV technology and government incentives have further propelled this segment, making it a dominant force in the US electrical steel market.
Recent Strategic Developments
• Investments and Capacity Expansion (ArcelorMittal - 2022): ArcelorMittal, the worlds largest steelmaker, disclosed its commitment to invest $1 billion in enlarging its electrical steel production capabilities within the United States. This expansion project, slated for completion by 2025, is anticipated to generate 300 new job opportunities.
• Joint Ventures and Collaborative Endeavors (U.S. Steel and POSCO - 2021): In 2021, the United States Steel Corporation (U.S. Steel) and POSCO, ranked as the worlds third-largest steel producer, entered into a pioneering joint venture aimed at constructing a $3 billion electrical steel mill situated in Alabama. This state-of-the-art mill is expected to reach operational status by 2026, boasting a formidable annual production capacity of 3.5 million tons.
• Technological Innovations (U.S. Steel - XG3): Innovations are afoot in the realm of electrical steel, with producers like U.S. Steel pioneering cutting-edge technologies. Notably, U.S. Steel has unveiled XG3, a revolutionary variant of electrical steel characterized by its superior strength-to-weight ratio in comparison to conventional counterparts. This innovation finds practical application in emerging fields like electric vehicles and renewable energy systems.
• Global Expansion Initiatives (ArcelorMittal): ArcelorMittals strategic investments extend beyond the United States. The company is also ramping up its electrical steel production capacities in other regions, including Mexico and Brazil. This expansion drive underscores ArcelorMittals belief in the significant growth potential within the electrical steel market.
• Unique Collaboration (U.S. Steel and POSCO): The collaboration between U.S. Steel and POSCO stands as a remarkable milestone in the steel industry. This unprecedented joint venture leverages the combined strengths and resources of two major steel giants to establish a dominant force in electrical steel production within the United States.
• Advanced Electrical Steel (U.S. Steel - XG3): U.S. Steels groundbreaking XG3 electrical steel represents a new era in the domain of electrical materials. Distinguished by its enhanced strength and reduced weight compared to traditional electrical steel, XG3 holds immense promise for diverse applications, particularly in the domains of electric vehicles and renewable energy systems.
Years considered for this report
• Historical Years: 2021 - 2022
• Base Year: 2022
• Forecast Period: 2023-2033
US Electrical Steel Market Research Report Analysis Highlights
• Historical data available (as per request)
• Estimation/ projections/ forecast for revenue and unit sales (2022 - 2033)
• Data breakdown for application Industries (2022 - 2033)
• Integration and collaboration analysis of companies
• Capacity analysis with application sector breakdown
• Business trend and expansion analysis
• Import and export analysis
• Competition analysis/market share
• Supply chain analysis
• Client list and case studies
• Market entry strategies adopted by emerging companies
US Electrical Steel Market Segments
Product Type (Revenue, USD Million, 2022 - 2033)
• Grain Oriented Electrical Steel
• Non-Grain Oriented Electrical Steel
o Fully Processed
Application (Revenue, USD Million, 2022 - 2033)
o 1 HP – 100 HP
o 101 HP – 200 HP
o 201 HP – 500 HP
o 501 HP – 1000 HP
o Above 1000 HP
Thickness (Revenue, USD Million, 2022 - 2033)
• 0.23 mm
• 0.27 mm
• 0.30 mm
• 0.35 mm
• 0.5 mm
• 0.65 mm
Core Losses (Revenue, USD Million, 2022 - 2033)
• Less Than 0.9 w/kg
• 90 w/kg to 0.99 w/kg
• w/kg to 1.29 w/kg
• 1.30 w/kg to 1.39 w/kg
• Above 1.39 w/kg
Flux Density (Revenue, USD Million, 2022 - 2033)
• Less Than 1.65 Tesla
• 1.65 Tesla to 1.69 Tesla
• 1.69 Tesla to 1.73 Tesla
• 1.73 Tesla to 1.76 Tesla
• Above 1.76 Tesla
End User (Revenue, USD Million, 2022 - 2033)
• Household Appliance
US Electrical Steel Market Companies
• Nucor Corporation
• AK Steel (Now part of Cleveland-Cliffs)
• Cogent Power Inc.
• Thyssenkrupp AG
• Baosteel Group
• Voestalpine AG
• WISCO (Wuhan Iron and Steel Corporation
Available Versions of Tradings Cards Market Report:
Global Electrical Steel Market Research Report
Europe Electrical Steel Market Research Report
Middle East Electrical Steel Market Research Report
APAC Electrical Steel Market Research Report
• Customization can be done in the existing research scope to cater to your specific requirements without any extra charges* (terms and conditions apply).
• Send us a query to get the Table of Contents and Research Scope along with the research proposal.
Fill out the sample request form OR reach out directly to David Correa at his email: -
Please fill in the form below to Request for free Sample Report
Office Hours Mon - Sat 10:00 - 16:00
Send Us Mail firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2018 Market Decipher. All Rights Reserved